Gifting Property to Children

Quick Links

Under current legislation, your ability to pay for your own social care in later life, should it be needed, is means-tested.

The value of your home may be taken into account for this, so to avoid this eventuality, some people choose to make a gift of the home to a relative instead. This deed of gift needs to be done in the right way to ensure that the property is protected.

Key things you need to know

As the rules stand, it is possible to avoid charges by gifting your house, either directly to your family, or into a trust. Whilst this might seem like a good idea for you, gifting a house isn’t always straightforward and, at Spratt Endicott, our experts can make sure that you are aware of the issues and put the right structures in place.


Are there any tax disadvantages?

Our experts can advise you fully on the tax aspect of any gifts that you are planning.

Spratt Endicott Key Statistics

Positive Client Feedback


Specialist Lawyers


Ranked in Legal 500

Top Tier

Recommended Lawyers in Legal 500


Our People

  • Lucy Gordon
  • Director, Head of Private Client
  • 01295 204045
  • Email
  • David Endicott
  • Consultant
  • 01295 204005
  • Email
  • Tom McInerney
  • Associate
  • 01295 204092
  • Email
  • Emma Rolfe
  • Solicitor
  • 01869 222315
  • Email
  • Julia Routen
  • Solicitor
  • 01295 204012
  • Email
  • Victoria Upton
  • Solicitor
  • 01295 204144
  • Email
  • Allanagh Davies
  • Trainee Solicitor
  • 01295 204090
  • Email

Latest Posts

View All

Getting In Touch

To find out more about gifting a property or the deed of gift, please contact Lucy Gordon on 01295 204045 or email

Sign up for our Newsletter

Subscribe now to receive helpful articles, news and events from Spratt Endicott.

Newsletter Sign Up

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get in touch

Please complete your details and we’ll be in touch. Or, call us on 0330 0580 250.

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.